That's right, there's actually a day dedicated to calling a friend... and I think we need that now more than ever.
With the dark setting in so early in the evening, the temperature dropping, and not to mention the nationwide pandemic... this time of year may leave some of us finding ourselves feeling more and more isolated. Additionally, this time of year everyone is so busy and everything is moving fast-paced, it might be a good idea to take a minute to stop... and then call someone... anyone! Scroll through your contacts and ring that someone you maybe haven't spoken to in a long time. In this high tech world, we're increasingly contacting each other through email, text, or other digital apps. But there is a big difference between that and verbal communication.
According to a study published in Psychological Science, verbal communication actually correlates with improved neural processing capacities of the brain. Yeah, it can actually improve your brain's functionality.
So how should you participate in this national day of calling friends?
- Call an old friend you haven't spoken to in years.
- See what one of your old co-workers is up to.
- Give your contact list a big swipe down through all of your contacts. Whoever ends up on the top when it stops... you call.
- Call a distant family member
- Call a random number... maybe you'll make a new friend!
- Open up the Yellow Pages (they still make those, right?) and pick a random number on a random page.
This should be a fun activity to brighten up your day as well as the lucky recipient of your call. Have fun!